Tuesday, November 9, 2010

World Wide Web


Kahn and Kellner argue in their article Oppositional Politics and the Internet: A Critical Reconstructive Approach the effects that the Internet has on culture and society. Clay Shirky argues different good and bad effects that they see important to society. They discuss the importance of the Internet and how they consider it better than sitting on a coach and watching television. I agree with this and think that doing things on the Internet allows for people to be more active in learning and exploring the endless opportunities that the Internet may offer. This idea is referred to as “cognitive surplus” which can be described, as “group action just got easier.” This means that the Internet with certain things such as blogging and facebooking, is eventually going to lead to an interest and noticeable increase in a humans ability to express themselves.

I cannot imagine my life without the luxury of the Internet. I know that I am constantly “googling” things or facts that I am curious about. I know that I use “wikipedia” for almost everything and I am aware that I use facebook everyday. The Internet is a very interesting, but wide topic and I think that the article covers a large majority of topics that concern the growing impact of the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment