Sunday, November 14, 2010

precession of simulacra

Jean Baudrillard explains how reality has become fake, or hyperreal in his Simulacra and Simulations article. Simulation is real, "real" is re-structed into something that is perceived to be reality, but really isn't. Hyperreal for example is a model in Vogue. Tall, thin, and flawless skin is what humans should look like, or hopefully one day look like. I know I catch myself every now and then trying to find ways to make sure my skin gets flawless fast because I convince myself that there are people out there with perfect skin and only perfect skin gets somewhere in life. But that isn't true. Hyperreal has sheltered the real and the imaginary.

This picture is hyperreal to the max and probably one of the dumbest mistakes to print in magazines. It just goes to show how fake the modeling industry is and how it distorts peoples perceptions of what is socially acceptable, which causes problems like eating disorders.
This Ad of Beyonce freaks me out because she legitimately looks like a Barbie here…plastic, fake, and what she put into her hair reminds me of those girly toy commercials were you can add sparkles to your dolls hair or even your own(like in the barbie picture next to her, you can sort of see sparkles too in her hair)! Beyonce must have felt her inner child come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment