Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Escape Reality


Women Read The Romance by Janice A. Radway is a collection of stories about women escaping away from the real world into a romantic novel. While I read this I pictured each and every woman sitting down by themselves and diving into a romantic novel escaping there daily routines. In my opinion everyone needs an outlet to get away from the real world or the problems they need to deal with. But I don't necessarily feel that these women should be pretending that these novels are real or that there life should be like that. Some of these women may have struggled with abandonment by there husbands but should have exposed this problem to him, rather then pretend it never happened in live in the fantasy world like in their novels.






Cathartic Confessions or Emancipatory Texts- Moorti shows how the Oprah Winfrey talk show allows today's society to learn about issues such as rape, gender, and sexuality. This show is a place where topics such as gender have many different definitions and examples. Women all over the country can watch this show and relate to many of the topics reveled through the brave people who get up and talk about themselves and there experiences. Even Oprah has shared many of her past experiences such as child sex abuse. I believe that Oprah has given hope to many women and made them feel not alone, especially young women who have gone through traumatic experiences such as rape. " Entertainment is the last think I am looking for.... My goal is to try to uplift, encourage, and enlighten you in some way. I am looking for the moment that makes you say, "Ah ha, I didn't know that." - Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment